Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Hike in the Shawnee National Forest



    This weekend I had a great oppurtunity to volunteer my time at Camp Ondessonk.  Camp Ondessonk is an amazing summer camp in Ozark, Illinois, for children.  I was down there to help give back to a place that has given me so much.  
    I went for a beautiful hike off of Camp Ondessonk's property and into the Shawnee National Forest.  A small group and I walked single file down a path through the woods.  The first thing I noticed was how fresh the air smelled.  It was crisp and clear.  The trees were still green.  They are reluctant to give up their summer wardrobe.  We walked down the path clearing debris off of the path.  We were sprucing up the path to get it ready for the Fat Tire Festival next weekend.
    The path followed a small creek for a while.  Then it veered off the creek and was next to a bluff.  The huge split rocks jutted out of the forest floor.  Small skinny trees grew from the cracks in these rocks.  Looking up to the canopy of the trees, I caught glimpses of the blue sky.  Everywhere I looked there were trees.  The forest mostly had deciduous trees.  If only those deciduous trees would change their colors soon!  It must be a beautiful sight to be there when the Shawnee is transformed into fall. I can only imagine how pretty the autumn colored leaves must be.  
    Camp Ondessonk is open to the public during the off season when campers are not there.  You have to call the office to arrange your visit, though.  It is definitely worth the drive.  History, heritage, and nature all come together at Camp Ondessonk to create an extraordinary sanctuary in the woods of Southern Illinois.  

No comments:

Post a Comment