Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Adventure to Find the Stone Bridges

    On a recent blustery afternoon, I decided to take the Stone Bridge Drive.  I had a set of directions that would lead me to all of the destinations and my camera ready to go.  My sister came along to keep me company and help me with directions.  Before long we were cruising out to the countyside to find these bridges.


     My first stop on my drive was right inside of Columbia.  I took a left onto Gall Road and immediately saw this pleasant sight.  The red brick building on the right was the old Shoemaker School.  The school and bridge are both dressed up festively for the holiday season.  After a while we decided it was time to move on to our next stop.  Unfortunetly, this is where our good-luck started to end.
      We continued down Gall Road winding through the countryside.  This part of the drive was scenic. Trees grew alongside of the road and at times almost formed a canopy over us.  Farms spread out before us with cows roaming the fields.  We slowed down to look at a herd of deer grazing right beside us on a hill.  They were not shy at all.  All in all this was a very pretty and scenic drive as we looked for our next turn to go into Waterloo.
     Once we were on our way to Waterloo and our next stop, the sun started to disappear before a huge bank of clouds.  I was a little worried about how the lighting would be for the next stop.  I just hoped we would have enough daylight to finish the rest of the drive.  I entered Waterloo on Il-3 and turned right onto Il-156 and a quick left onto Lakeview Drive. 
     Lakeview Drive goes past a couple of neighborhoods but soon turns into fields and trees.  The name of the road also changed into Maeystown Road.  This road leads right into Maeystown.  We had to stay on this road for a couple of miles before stopping.  This was when I realized the weather was not going to cooperate.  Huge gray clouds began to blot out the rest of our daylight.  I realized we were probably not going to finish the tour but at least make it to the next one because we were so close!
     My directions said to find Holy Cross Lutheran Church and continue a half a mile.  The next bridge would be on the left.  I did exactly that but we didn't see the bridge.  I thought maybe I had gone too far so I turned around.  We drove by in the other direction looking but still didn't see it!  It was getting so dark, though, that I had to turn on the car's lights to see.  I realized I was going to have to stop for the day.
     I was disappointed that I didn't even get to see half of the bridges.  Next time I will plan and give myself more time and check out the weather!















No comments:

Post a Comment