Sunday, October 20, 2013

My View from the Guard Post

     I loved being up above everybody in the guard tower at Fort de Chartres.  I could see the entire fort's yard and buildings from my post.  The buildings straight across used be living quarters.  I walked through them, and I saw how the soldiers used to sleep and live.  It gave me a real appreciation of my own house and bedroom!  On the left you can see one of the "ghost buildings."  They are the wooden structures of buildings.  They give you an idea of what the buildings used to looked like in their original position. 
    I turned around to look out the other side of the tower and had a beautiful view of the bluffs in the distant.

     Across harvested fields, the bluffs rose out of the ground.  They stretched continuously to my left and right.  What looks like bare patches are actually limestone cliffs embedded into the bluff.  I carefully turned and climbed down the ladder out of the tower.  I did not want to take a misstep!  Once I had both feet planted firmly on the ground, I went off towards the next building to take a look around!



No comments:

Post a Comment